Author Topic: Aerogarden Ultra LED and Extra  (Read 3403 times)

HWJ

• Hardiness Zone 4b
Re: Aerogarden Ultra LED and Extra
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »
If you really want to be fair, you'd need to isolate them in the same conditions. And if side by side, put a block between them so they can't share light.

GregT

• Hardiness Zone 6b (ish)
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »
Warranty on the LED units is the same 1 year warranty as all the other units carry.  No word on availability time frame of the LED hoods as a stand-alone retrofit part.

I believe my Ultra LED order shipped today.  I have not planted the Ultra I just got from Costco yet, so I will do a side-by-side grow comparison between them.  Just need to figure out what to plant in them.  To be fair, it will need to be the same crop in both.
AG3's, Classic 7, Extras, Ultras, Custom

HWJ

• Hardiness Zone 4b
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 08:26:33 PM »
I was actually starting to think like the Aerogrow reps. It was all the same people posting.

Now, that being said, we are pretty awesome  :P
But it does discourage new posters

AspergianEyes

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 07:50:00 PM »
Still not very encouraging for someone who was not a regular contributor because she's new to AeroGardening. I put a lot of effort into my photos that I did post, and not a single "like" or comment to be seen. (I've said that before, I know.) It was extremely disappointing and discouraging. No wonder no one is posting ... because you're deterring new people.  :-\ The least they could have done is looked at my photos and left a comment or something. Eh, whatever. Nothing I can do about it for now. Sorry for griping off-topic.

I don't have an Ultra, but they certainly look fun. I wonder how the LEDs will light up a room and if it'll be a weird color.

trentbradbury

• Hardiness zone 5b
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 07:21:48 PM »
They should lurk..
I felt kinda down when I got up this morning until I noticed the underside of the leaves had turned purple overnight ..My attitude changed quite a bit. Love my aerogardens, I hope I don't get priced out of the game.
Trent
Trent

I Gotta go wet my plants...

Corinne

• Administrator
  • HARDINESS ZONE 6a
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 06:49:00 PM »
I don't think it was intended in that kind of a tone, Corinne. 

To be fair, I'll quote his reply to me on this topic:

"We were running Facebook Photos of the Day and of the Week, but participation seemed to be dwindling and it seemed that a small number of AeroGardeners were doing most of the posting.  Thanks for your encouragement, however maybe its time to sit down with the other people who were involved in that and see if we can come up with some other ideas to build engagement."

Thanks for posting the reply from Chris. Now I see it in totally different
light.
ღƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღ

GregT

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
The best advice I can give, Trent, is to tell them.  We're pretty much the choir here on this board.  We're already hooked.  I provided them my constructive feedback, and they seemed appreciate it.  I imagine the more people who do that, the more serious they'll take it.

trentbradbury

• Hardiness zone 5b
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 05:47:08 PM »
Photo of the day was a great customer resource... I'll shut up before I get into trouble..
Trent
Trent

I Gotta go wet my plants...

GregT

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »

They probably made it an easy swap. Same hood, same cables.
But the new hood won't work on the old AGs.

Yes.  No changes other than the hood itself.  Direct replacement to existing hood.   I have not tested my ultra hood on say, an Extra.  The power connector is the same, and I'm guessing the power requirements are the same.  An enterprising soul could devise an adapter for the top of the arm, that would allow you to put an Ultra hood atop an old machine, I would imagine...

We'll see if he offers any new info after their meeting tomorrow, in terms of retrofit hoods for older models.

GregT

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 05:27:20 PM »
I don't think it was intended in that kind of a tone, Corinne.  I don't think they thought the photo of the day and photo of the week they had been doing was working, in terms of engagement of the audience.

From the standpoint of someone who deals with social media marketing every day, it's not the silver bullet you would like it to be, in terms of the effort you put into it, and the return of any kind (financial or people) you get out of it.  It's a different animal at a business level, than it is a personal level.  I think they need to figure something out, but I don't think it needs to be the same as what they were doing.  To be fair, I'll quote his reply to me on this topic:

"We were running Facebook Photos of the Day and of the Week, but participation seemed to be dwindling and it seemed that a small number of AeroGardeners were doing most of the posting.  Thanks for your encouragement, however maybe its time to sit down with the other people who were involved in that and see if we can come up with some other ideas to build engagement."

I'll I can do is give them my opinion, and I've done that.  :)

Corinne

• Administrator
  • HARDINESS ZONE 6a
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »

On Facebook, he said that they intentionally slowed down their activity, because it was generally low activity, and the same people contributing over and over.  He said my encouragement might prompt them to sit down and see what other ideas they can come up with for engagement.

FWIW.
So much for the value and encouragement of  the same people contributing over and over. ..not to mention the support of the new machine owners who log on for ideas,help and encouragement with their projects. The only ones who will bother to post now are the ones who have warranty issues or problems with their stuff and can't get in touch with a customer service rep to answer their problem!!!
Even if they do not use the 'same people's '   ::)  photos, they can at least put up an interesting paragraph or 2 from the knowledge base on projects!!!  Be people minded rather than just wanting to boost more sales!!!
Geez Louise!   ::)

ღƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღ

HWJ

• Hardiness Zone 4b
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
they are planning an LED upgrade option for current CFL Ultra machines.

That's what I figured, at most. They probably made it an easy swap. Same hood, same cables.
But the new hood won't work on the old AGs.

I really need to get my hands on one.

GregT

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 03:15:28 PM »
I heard back from Chris at Aerogarden today, and he's still tracking down info on the LED warranty.  He said that their customer service group is having a meeting tomorrow with the guy than can answer the question.

He indicated that the electronics in the LED hood are the same as the CFL model.  He said they have very few failures with the CFL units, and when they do, they are quick (manufacturing), rather than long term use failures.

Another tidbit he gave me is that they are planning an LED upgrade option for current CFL Ultra machines.  No pricing yet, and probably not available until after the first of the year sometime.  No answer yet, on whether or not they're planning LED upgrades for other units.  He's going to ask at their meeting tomorrow.

On Facebook, he said that they intentionally slowed down their activity, because it was generally low activity, and the same people contributing over and over.  He said my encouragement might prompt them to sit down and see what other ideas they can come up with for engagement.

FWIW.

HWJ

• Hardiness Zone 4b

HWJ

• Hardiness Zone 4b
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »
Depends who you are talking to. If its not the surface mount type, I could probably manage. But not everyone is willing to break out a ohm meter and soldering iron.

See reviews on an amazon products here:
www.amazon.com/Lighthouse-Hydro-BlackStar-Flowering-135-watt/dp/B00725XHP6
www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Systems-LEDGP45-GlowPanel-Light/dp/B001N4NKB8

Non functioning and Quality Control issues.
I really hope Aerogrow has a better handle on it.