Author Topic: Aerogarden Ultra LED and Extra  (Read 3332 times)

trentbradbury

• Hardiness zone 5b
Re: Aerogarden Ultra LED and Extra
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »
Pretty easy fix usually a 470 ohm resistor give or take a few ohms...
Trent
Trent

I Gotta go wet my plants...

HWJ

• Hardiness Zone 4b
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 04:00:42 PM »
I used to talk with a guy who ran the hydroponics store near my place. He basically said that LED lights do fail and the RMA process is a pain if the company disappears.
Its not really the individual LED that fails, but the panel that holds the circuit. I assume Aerogrow would make this an End User replaceable part.

trentbradbury

• Hardiness zone 5b
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:51:52 PM »
Led' s require less voltage than cfl bulbs and in theory never need replacement. That would be a strong selling point for me. I am perfectly happy with my AG 7's with tall arms. I honestly believe there should be a price adjustment with the highest price around $150.00 . Aerogarden is in somewhat of a difficult to sustain business model relying on seed kits and bulbs to stay afloat financially. As we all know the original bulbs last longer than 6 months and custom growing can offset the cost of seed kits. I will own an led equipped Aerogarden when they are available and will retro fit my current AG's to LED hoods if possible to keep the mercury in cfl bulbs out of landfills
Trent
Trent

I Gotta go wet my plants...

HWJ

• Hardiness Zone 4b
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »
For me it wouldn't be a question of 'talking me into it', its just cost, the cost of shipping and the cost of customs....
See the running theme? lol

Corinne

• Administrator
  • HARDINESS ZONE 6a
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:16:25 PM »
It is very interesting to read about all these little improvements
on the machines. Really it is. And as I read at times I am 'green with envy' to quote
HWJ. But then I think:
I have a Toyota. All the Corollas I have owned last for YEARS. They will go for well over 200 thousand miles and if one keeps up the finish, there is no need to look for another car.
I have that same mentality with my AG's. I have about 14 of them and more stored away.
This week I am giving away a closeted Pro100 which works just fine to a person who is
interested in exploring the AG hobby.
So, I see all these great improvements and want a brand new shiny Camry or another Corolla and I have
a bunch more sitting in the yard! Get my drift?  Just sayin'.......

(LOL actually I really want someone to talk me into getting a new Super Duper AG,but I am cheap )     ::)

ღƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღ

HWJ

• Hardiness Zone 4b
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
The main reason HPS and MH are still mainstream in hydroponics is the lack of LED product suppliers. Occasionally someone makes the leap and creates a product, but it usually gets discontinued fairly quickly.
At least if this continues to be part of AG's product line, then there is a supplier.

GregT

• Hardiness Zone 6b (ish)
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »
I should also add, that the instruction booklet/sheet that I got with my Ultra, was labeled to cover the LED model as well.  So I think they are in fact exactly the same, just a different hood.

With the LED model, seems like you wouldn't have to buy bulbs any more.  LEDs should not lose their effectiveness over time, until they quit completely, which should be thousands of hours down the road.

Certainly will be interesting!
AG3's, Classic 7, Extras, Ultras, Custom

HWJ

• Hardiness Zone 4b
Aerogarden Ultra LED and Extra
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 08:19:34 AM »
GregT posted a very interesting picture, so I decided to start a new thread about it.

First glace the UltraLED looks like the same model as the Ultra but with a different hood. LEDs obviously use less power, so thats a bonus, but now we're back to having to buy bulbs directly from Aerogarden.

Extra looks like it just has a less powerful base than the Ultra.